Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chicken Chow Mein=328 calories

 I've been on a "healthier lifestyle" run for the last week and of course it's always a challenge but thanks to blogilates.com, I have found some great recipes and also some great exercise tips, etc.. I went for the chicken chow mein and it was delicious.  It serves 1 and is 328.1 calories.  Crazy right?!  The only addition I made to the recipe was that I added about 1-1 1/2 T. of sweet chili sauce which you can find at most Asian stores or in your ethnic aisle of a grocery store. 




Also, the reason why this chow mein was so low calorie was because of the type of noodles used.  It's called Miracle Noodles which is made from Konnyaku Flour.  The flour is from the Japanese konnyaku imo root.  Anyways in quick translation, these Miracle noodles are NO Joke.  Their calorie free, gluten free, and soy free.  It is a much healthier alternative to alot of store bought pastas.  miraclenoodles.com is the website where you can order them.  I ordered the sampler deal where you get 4 rice, 4 angel hair, and 4 fettucinne.  A total of $38.88 and free shipping from Japan!  I don't mean to sound infomercial here lol.  The noodles actually look like pho noodles and they taste great.  The texture of the rice takes some getting used to but not bad at all.  Its a great substitute to any dish that will keep the calories low. You can do any vegetables that you like as well.


This was actually my dinner I had at work w/some blueberries on the side.



  • 1 pack of Miracle Fettucine or angel hair
  • 1 egg or 3 egg whites cooked and scrambled 
  • About 7-8 baby carrots, sliced longways
  •  One small head of broccoli, cut up
  • Sliced onions & chopped garlic
  • 1 chicken breast, boiled or grilled, then chopped
  • 1 TBS oyster sauce (you find in Walmart in the ethnic aisle or asian market)
  • 1 tsp of low sodium soy sauce
  • pinch of salt & pinch of pepper
  • little bit of sesame oil or olive oil to stir-fry
  •  1 T. of Mae ploy chili sauce (Optional)

  • Follow the instructions for the noodles on the back of the package, they seriously are so EASY! Then
    make sure your pan is hot with the thin coating of oil before you toss in the onion and garlic.  If you want your vegetables to cook without browning the bottom of your pan, pour in about 1/4-1/2 Cup of water and cover loosely with foil so that way it will have a steam effect to your vegetables without burning them. Check on them every few minutes till their done to your liking. I like mine a little on the crisp but cooked firmness. I cook the vegetables first before adding the chicken, noodles, and sauce.  Once your vegetables are ready, toss in the chicken, noodles, eggs and sauce.  Coat everything well and let it heat through for a minute. You can add salt and pepper til you get the desired taste.    If you would like a little more soy sauce to the dish, totally up to you.  Enjoy!



    01 02 03
    04 05 06
    07 08 11 12

    No comments:

    Post a Comment